Sunday, March 9, 2008

Original Sin

As a working mom of three children, 7, almost 5, and 2 1/2, my husband and I are in a constant uphill battle against the giant laundry mountain. It seems that there are just not enough minutes in the day to get the kids ready for school, go to work, pick the kids up, make dinner, do homework, clean up dinner, bathe the kids, get them off to bed, spend time with my husband, grade papers, and do it all over again the next day. By the time Saturday comes we have errands to run, birthday parties to go to, and family time. By Sunday we realize we have no clean clothes, I end up washing as much as I can so we have clothes for the week but that always leaves piles of dirty clothes.

This weekend I have decided to try to conquer laundry mountain. I have done a dozen loads in the last two days and am only half done. That still leaves putting it all away. In my many hours of switching and folding I began to think why is it that doing this simple chore always seems like the hardest. Nobody really enjoys doing laundry and everyone you talk to has that hamper that never gets washed. Why is that? I have decided that it can all be linked back to that fateful day in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were so ashamed of their sin that they hid from God and covered themselves with plants. From that day on people did not wander around naked but they wore clothes. God told them from then on people would suffer, men in hardwork, and women in child birth. Child birth only lasts a blink in relation to the rest of our lives so I always thought we got the easier punishment. However, now I realize that even though it went unsaid laundry is our ultimate punishment. I must say that God really did think of everything.

Again, as I was doing laundry I began to think how much laundry do I have with 5 people in my family we go through 35 outfits a week, 15 pairs of pajamas, 35 pairs of underwear and 35 pairs of socks a week. Not to bad but if I break it down even more 35 pairs of pants, 35 shirts, 35 pairs of underwear, 5 bras (sometimes more), 15 pajama bottoms, 15 pajamas tops (sometimes more if Ephraim wets the bed), and 70 socks. This does not include jackets, sweaters, towels, and sheets. 210 articles of clothing a week that need to be washed. Is it any wonder why I can never get caught up on my laundry. Well that is all about laundry for now I am just sick of washing, switching, drying, folding, and putting away.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with the ever growing laundry pile. I swear I spend all day doing laundry, turn around and the laundry room is full again. How do we go through so many clothes? I think there are little elves who come out at night and take clothes out of our closets and drawers and put them in the laundry room, just for a laugh!!