Monday, July 28, 2008

Shaving

So today at work we had a long conversation at work about girls and shaving legs. When is it appropriate to have them start shaving and what do you do when a 9 year old sneaks and shaves anyways, one of Rebekah's friends did that after being told no. I was sure that if any of my girls decided that they new best it would surely be Rebekah in the next few years. Can kids ever fool you. Tonight I was letting the girls bath one at a time in my oval tub with a good book and bubbles. My husband snuck in to check on Delilah and he saw her stuff something under the bubbles. He reached in and pulled up, you guess it mommy's razor. My sweet innocent little 5 year old decided to shave her legs. She now has zebra stripes going up her legs. It was the funniest thing. She was crying because she didn't get to finish. I had to tell her she has to wait until she is older. Which then sparked the when will I be old enough question from Rebekah. I told her to ask me later because I have no idea when it is appropriate to start shaving. I said Jr. High what do you think? Anyways that is my funny story for today.

7 comments:

risalea said...

I'll ask Lindsay when we let her start. Right now, I have absolutely no idea. But I do remember what my mother told me...no shaving about the knees or you'll cultivate more hair! LOL

Laura said...

I think I was in 5th grade when I started since the girls on cheer were making fun of my hairy legs... even though I had blonde hair and you really couldn't see it. My mom was totally against it and we fought over it but I won in the end. I think my sister started younger since my mom didn't care anymore.

Cathy Storms said...

I'm not sure how old you were when you started shaving your legs, but I know you were older than 5 or 7..lol...
So did you clean up her legs so they wouldn't be stripped?

Audra said...

No I am just going to let her have striped legs.

Anonymous said...

Misty and Sam started shaving their legs in Jr. High, so that is when I'll allow Dacey also. For now we keep ALL razors up and away from both kids, or they would be doing the same thing..lol Sean does have a play razor so he can pretend to shave his face like his dad.
You better get a pic of those stiped legs, that is priceless.
HUGS,
Kim

Michelle said...

I say 6th grade, although I remember asking my mom if I could in 5th and she did all she could to put it off. My sister taught me when I was almost in 6th, I think.

Jason&Linze said...

so funny, I remember those years. Laura, I think the first time I shaved might have been at your house?? Well being that I have 3 boys, they'll be shaving when it's starts to make that ugly teen stubble on the their chin lol I think for girls it's so hard and depends on their hair. If they have really dark hair, it might be ok to do it earlier...good luck!